Thursday 14 February 2013

Ready to obey..

I have a dear wonderful friend who takes Amy for 2 mornings a week while I homeschool. Yesterday morning, I was in the midst of writing something up when God prompted me to pray for their safety. It wasn't fearful or fretting.. I just obeyed. When it came time to pick Amy up, they weren't home yet and running late. They had taken a wee bus ride that morning and their bus had sideswiped a van door, taking out the wing mirror. It wasn't a major, apart from the irate van driver whose language was less to be desired, even though at fault. Fear didn't even enter my heart. It was simply one of those "hmm, I wonder" moments.

I wonder what time I prayed.. I wonder what time it happened..
I wonder what God knew that I didnt..
I wonder that He cares enough to prompt me..
I wonder what promptings I havent listened to...

As a mum, its so easy to start the day with a running list of 'to do's'. To wake up and instantly consider "whats on the schedule for today". In my often sleep deprived state, I tend towards considering "have I enough within, to meet what today holds?". I havent ever concluded yes once, in fact, I arrive at the same answer every single morning "today Lord, I need You".

Schedules, routines and organization are important. In my homeschooling world, they keep life turning over. They enable me to keep some order to our lives. But there is no point in trying to achieve any measure of external order, any measure of external achievement, if my heart hasn't aligned itself first to the truth that today is a new day, and it belongs to Him. I dont just need Him to tag onto my plans, I need Him to fill my life. I need His Spirit to prompt me, to whisper to me "this way". I need His promptings "pray now".. and I need to be ready.

I notice that as soon as I have lost my inner peace, my external world seems chaotic, no matter how much I invest into order. My home might be perfectly clean, but the kids pick up my stress and fretting, and there is discord. Equally, my home can be chaos, but if my heart is aligned with Him, there is a sweet tune in our home that exists even in the noise and chaos.

Yesterday reminded me how much I need Him. How much I need to start each day asking Him "how can I live today for you?", to pray and seek His face, to be ready for the small promptings "this way",.. to be ready to obey.


Matthew 6:33

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment