Thursday 5 September 2013

In the mud...

I love Philippians 2.


. . Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above
yourselves,  not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death - even death on a cross!


Reading it is like hearing a battle cry in my mind, or maybe a cheer of unity, just before the sports players commence action.
It rings out - SERVE OTHERS! Of course! Of course! My spirit cries. When did I ever think that true Godliness and unity and fulfilment would exist outside of anything less than a willingness to serve, love and put first others around me, as an act of worship to a most worthy God.

Yet in reality, living that out is so much harder than the contrite and sweet acts of deference that I sometimes imagine.

Its easy to lay our lives down, when it is esteemed, when its seen, when its encouraged and understood.
But what about when its not. Or what about when its messy. Painful. Costly. What about when it means our reputation is on the line.

Its been my experience that that kind of humility, is the crawling through the mud kind of stuff.

I love the way my pastor once described it. He was talking about being in combat training, literally crawling in the mud, covered in camouflage, with his appointed companion. The only way through, was together. Crawling through the mud, the one in front would carve a path in the ground with his elbows, while the other follows close behind, taking the flicking of mud from the foot of the one in front, in the face. They had to stick together and come out together, or they didnt pass the test. They encouraged each other on. At times, that meant crawling through the most yucky awkward moments, together!



This illustration has never left my mind. Its paints such a striking image of true Christlike humility.

It will ask of you to be put the welfare of others above your own. It will ask of you the courage to get down into the low places along with them and commit to crawling out with them, knowing full well, that unless you come out together, you dont pass. Philippians 2:5.

JR Miller described.. "There is no surer test of the genuineness of Christian life — than in this matter of serving others. In serving others, we should inquire, "Am I like Jesus — or not?" We are too careful of our dignity. When we see the Son of God washing His disciples' feet — we should be ashamed ever to ask whether anything another may need to have done — is too menial for us to do. A king may do the lowliest kindness to the poorest peasant in his realm — and his honor will only be enhanced by it."

In military, you must be prepared to give your life in defense of others. Such heroism is championed on a large scale. But on a small scale, its often missed. Yet, true serving and heroism begins in the little things. But thats where the training really begins! Check out this code of conduct of the US Military.. this should be our Christian code of conduct for everyday life.. "I am a child of God, and I will never surrender of my own free will to the enemy of my soul.. if we are persecuted for doing right, I will keep faith.. I will never be disloyal.. I will trust in my God". GRIT!

How does that grit look in the everyday?
Its ensuring that your conversation and conduct is honorable, even with those closest to you.
Its committing to the good of the corporate, and being willing to walk away, if your being there, would cause the team to lose their focus on the goal
Its being more interested in the lives of those around you, than in your own personal agenda
Its scrimping on the temporal and being extravagent in investing in the eternal  
Its letting purity and Godliness reign in your life, in the hidden person
Its praying and keeping the Word of God at your side always, ready to meet the enemy

Here now in my life, serving means being willing to cook meal after meal. It means willing to get up at the crack of dawn to exercise so I can be ready and fit to serve. It means choosing to have a good attitude regardless of what battles I might be facing. It means being willing to put aside my own social and creative dreams to invest in the things that matter most. It means being willing to take the lowest position, the lesser place, the muddiest route, if by doing so, I can preserve and encourage someone of lesser strength. It means praying for those around me. It means communicating honestly and lovingly with those around me because Im willng to walk the hard yards with them, rather than pull away.

I love what Eric Ludy says "Let the vulnerable claim your strength!"
Since Jesus Christ owns me, He has a claim on my life, energies, and strength. And thusly, those that have a rightful claim on His mercies, grace, and abundance (the poor, the weak, the orphan, the widow, the imprisoned, the refugee, etc) have a claim on me. I am their servant as an extension of my bonded servitude unto my Creator King.

And there is the greatest key of all; Unto my Creator!

Matthew 25:40

  “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me"


 





No comments:

Post a Comment