Monday 31 March 2014

Dwell in the land

"Dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture" Psalm 37 We have an internal garage. And the sliding door from our house, to the garage, has a gap underneath it. And although it seems insignificant to others, to me its the point of much heart quickening. You see, as my day is going about, and Im in the busyness of washing dishes or instructing the kids, I sometimes miss the sound of the garage door going up as Sam arrives home.. be that for a quick cup of tea, a bite for lunch, or because he is home. But as I am 'doing', I will hear a noise and I think to myself "hmmm, that sounds like a Sam noise". Most often its a little whistle or the sound of a paint tin being put back in place. And if I want to be sure its him, I peek down at the gap... How do I know if its him? Light peeks through. Sunshine basking through the doors sends a shaft of radiant light peeking under our internal door. I slide back that door with a smile on my face and the kids come running. As I was meditating on what is "safe pasture", I glanced at that shaft of light and knew. Safe pasture is the security we have, in knowing who is 'home'. How do we know? The light shines. Our security doesnt rest upon the circumstances in our lives and the people around us. Psalm 37 specifically commands us "not to fret" of those who are doing wrong. It commands us not to "envy" them. Why? Because sometimes it can look fairly impressive whats going on in their lives. Their apparent success can look like something worth emulating. We begin to doubt whether doing it Gods way is worth the while. After all, their kick back way seems to yield profit. What does God say? "TRUST IN THE LORD". When youre wondering where the "safe pasture" is.. look for the evidence of Him. Look for the light. Keep on doing what is right and rest your security entirely upon Him. Then you wont just dwell in the land... it will become your inheritance; "Wait for the Lord and keep His way, And He will exalt you to inherit the land"

2 comments:

  1. Great post Fleur. :) Proverbs 3 also comes to mind... '...lean not on our own understanding...'. Trusting Him and walking out our circumstances His way is the path to life in its fullness. Always. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are awesome. Nuff said. xxx PS.. too right about not leaning on your own understanding, thanks for the reminder. Human perspective is so limited, how easy to forget Gods ways are greater.

      Delete