Monday 22 July 2013

Real Hospitality


Hebrews 13
Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.  

What truly is hospitality?

We know it is nothing to do with feelings. In fact, its a command that comes in the Bible, twice, after this one "Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters". Is it because we tend to show hospitality to those who make us feel good?

Love in action, is to invite others into our home. To make our home an open place of ministry, blessing, fellowship. Hospitality is the art of being frugal and careful with my resources so that my home is a place of order and beauty, a place where love and welcoming start. My mum does that so well! Growing up, no matter who the person was, I saw my mum living out this scripture.. ...When you give a dinner or a supper, do not ask your friends, your brothers, your relatives, nor rich neighbors, lest they also invite you back, and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you; for you shall be repaid at the resurrection of the just (Luke 14:12-14). It doesnt matter if the guest is rich or poor, I grew up in a home where mum showed them all the same care and love. My parents are some of the most generous and giving people I know.

For a young family, such as ourselves, that is a concept that requires of me some refinement. It means having a preparedness, not just of the functioning of my home, but of my heart.

Hospitality is not showey, it is not proud or pretentious.
I read years ago, a quote I will never forget. "I would rather eat simple peanut butter sandwhiches and enjoy fellowship, than eat a three course meal on my own". Hospitality is not simply an opportunity to showcase my favourite Nigella Lawson recipes, to whip out some awe inspiring Jaimee Oliver number. (Which is not likely, given that Im not prone to amazing masterpieces ;) ) ... but hospitality needs to consider, do I make the other person focus on me, or focus on Jesus? Is it an elegant expression of Gods creativity and blessing on my means? or is it an extravagent display of my inward efforts for approval? Growing up as a child, some of my favourite memories are of visiting our friends who lived on a farm. We spent hours playing spotlight in the dark, pulling hard pears off the plum tree and eating them, and coming in for cheese and relish on toast. It was gourmet to me!

Hospitality is an opportunity to showcase Jesus Christ to my children. It is an opportunity for them to hear the stories and thoughts of other saints, of other people who have walked that narrow road. Its an opportunity for my children to grasp the tangible experience of a life surrendered to Jesus. Its an opportunity to without awareness, have angels about my table.

One of the most important aspects of Hospitality? Have an outward looking heart. It can be nerve wracking talking to strangers, let alone to invite them into your home, and often you can find yourself weighing up whether you have enough space, fun, outgoing-ness, entertainment, energy, order or the kids are on their best behaviour.

One of the things I do often, is that when I feel those 'butterflies' in my stomach as I head out the door to a group of people I dont know very well, or invite strangers into our home, is to pray. I ask God to make me a blessing, to make me a minister of His Word. To give me a word of encouragement for someone or to be a soft place to fall. This isnt a natural functioning for me, especially as Im more of an introvert, but this attitude opens up my heart to give.. the best cure for any depression, anxiety or self awareness.. is to focus on the lives of others.

When looking for practical ways to show hospitality, I enjoyed to read this blog..

Real Food Hospitality {On a Budget} | A Simple Haven

No comments:

Post a Comment