Sunday 20 April 2014

A resurrection question that hurt...



John 21.
Its not the verse people tend to refer to at a time of Easter. Jesus appears first to Mary Magdalene, Resurrected, and then to the disciples. There is a miraculous catching a fish followed by eating together... and then Jesus asks Simon Peter a question, first time, second time.. "do you love me?"...

A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time.

It wasnt for Jesus benefit that He asked these questions. He already knew the answers. But He asked them for Simon Peters sake. As Oswald Chambers writes; 'The Lord’s questions always reveal me to myself.'

What did Peter reply? “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.”
Peter sees that there is no hiding anything from the Lord. That Jesus sees to the very depths of his heart.

Its been my experience that what hurts most, is not in fact, what others think of me, but what God reveals to me about myself.

But my experience has also been, that its also the most freeing.

Failure, fear, denial, eloquence, pride, comparison, self righteousness. Im sure all of Simons Peters actions the past few days reeled through his mind with agonizing light, as Jesus probed him once more "do you love me?"... but Simon Peter, identifies with all his guilt and sees that even in the measure of his fickleness, is a love of His Saviour that is stronger still.

Can you identify?
Do your past failures and mistakes reel across your life in a flash, as Jesus probes to the depths of your hearts "(insert own name), do you love me?"
Your hall of shame is jam packed with files and evidence for which you know yourself, your life has not proven your love of Him... but there is one file. Right at the back. Its empty. There are no qualifications or accolades of evidential proof. There is no speech to eloquently deliver on all the reasons as to why. You are standing there with nothing to reach for and no need to, because He has seen right to the VERY HEART of you and shown there, something you barely knew of yourself....


That moment, when you see that from childhood, He always had His hand on you. That that little book, that Bible that landed itself in your hand, that praying neighbour, that caring friend, Christian camp, message from Bible in Schools, the voice that gently called you, the quickening of your heart....that indescribable and undeniable certainty in your heart that HE LOVES ME AND I LOVE HIM. And nothing. NOTHING. Can take that away from you.



Its not based upon anything you have done, but everything He has done for you. Love will overcome everything.


That is the power of the resurrection


Oh what a moment, Oh what joy, freedom, tears, love and wonder beholds you there.
"If ever I love thee, my Jesus tis now".

No comments:

Post a Comment