Thursday 3 April 2014

Might you stand?

In 1 Kings 19 we read how God said to Elijah "what are you doing here?" Elijah gives his answer. And then the Lord says this "go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by". This is the part of the story where we all rub our hands together in anticipation. God is about to pass by. Its got to be good right?! Ive found myself there in my own walk of faith many times. "Fleur, what are you doing here?" "ummm... well... Im standing on You, but it looks like its going to cost me". and then I sense in my spirit a quickening, an anticipation "I see God about to move". I cant define how I know it. I just have that inner knowing that something is hapenning, something we cant see. And here is where I relate to Elijah most. Because inevitably, my world starts looking rather messy. The wind blows in.. usually full of fear.. 'you think that mountain your standing on is strong, think again'. And the things in which I had placed my security come apart. Nope, God wasnt in that. The ground is shaken up and my circumstances start looking crazy. Nope, God wasnt in that. Then the fire goes through, the testing of my faith. But the Lord wasnt in that either. And after all that, there is a whisper. Gods voice. There! There I hear it, the Lord is in this. Do I really get what God was allowing when the winds tore the mountain apart, and the earthquake shook whatever left standing, and then the fire came in, just to be sure the messy job was done well? Not at all. It reminds me of a scene out of the Christchurch earthquake.
And Im not willing to give a lot of comment onto why God allows this kind of stuff. In fact, its not mine to know. I could have a guess, but God doesnt say in 1 Kings 19 what He did it for. It only says that God told Elijah He was about to pass by, and then all these things happen and Elijah knows God wasnt in those things.. till he hears a "gentle whisper". And then He knows its God. Has God given you a promise that He is going to pass by? Has God quickened your spirit, with that knowing that He is going to show up. And its going to be good. If He has, then dont be looking for Him in your circumstances, friendships, job, home, leaders, relationships, money, health or status. None of those things is remotely secure. In fact, you could go as far to say that He will allow them to be shaken.... Till what is left standing is You and Him. And His voice is unmistakable, often as gentle as a tender whisper.

No comments:

Post a Comment